Walsall FIS offers up-to-date information,
advice and help on services for families in Walsall.

Financial help for SEN / disabled children

Having a child with an SEN or disability can involve extra costs. This page tells you about the most common benefits and allowances that you maybe able to claim.


Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

If your child is under 16 and has trouble walking and/or needs more looking after than a child the same age, they maybe able to get DLA. The amount they get is based on their needs, but it ranges from £21.00 to £134.40 per week. It is made up of mobility and care components. To find out more please visit the Government's website.


Disabled Child Element of Child Tax Credit

You may get extra Child Tax Credit for a child if they are:

  • Receiving DLA or Personal Independance Payments
  • Registered blind (or recently came off the blind register before you claimed Tax Credits)

There is also an additional premium if your child receives the higher rate Care Component of DLA or the Enhanced Daily Living Component of Personal Independance Payments. To find out more visit the Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs website.


Direct Payments

If your child qualifies for services from Walsall Council, then you can opt to receive Direct Payments and arrange these yourself rather than using social services arranged ones. To find out more visit Walsall Council's website.


Carer's Allowance

If you care full time for your child, you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance. To claim:

  • You must care for them at least 35 hours per week
  • Your child must be getting DLA middle or higher rate care or Personal Independance Payments - daily living component

To find out more please visit the Government's website.


Short Breaks

If you child has a special needs diagnosis, then they can access activities during the school holidays. The activities that take place vary from holiday to holiday and a new booklet is produced each term. You can find out more by visiting the Short Breaks page. To register your interest in a scheme you need to contact us.


Motability Scheme

If you have a child who is 3 or over, you maybe able to get help to lease a car if they are receiving:

  • DLA higher rate mobility component
  • Personal Independance Payments - enhanced mobility component

Please visit the Motability website for more information


Disabled Facilities Grant

If your child is disabled and you need to make adjustments to your home for them, then you may be able to claim the grant towards these costs.

To find out more please visit the Government's website.


Blue Badges

You may be able to claim a blue badge that allows you to park more easily, if you have a child under 3 that needs:

  • Bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried out without great difficulty
  • To be near to a vehicle so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be given.

To find out more please visit Walsall Council's website.


Obviously this is not an exhaustive list. For more information on benefits please visit the: