Walsall FIS offers up-to-date information,
advice and help on services for families in Walsall.

Benefits and allowances

Depending on your circumstances there are different benefits and allowances that you can access to help you in difficult times. Due to the complex nature of them, we like to signpost families to reliable sources of information and help to make sure that you recieve the right information. Some of the most typical are listed below:


Universal Credit

You may be able to claim Universal Credit instead of certain benefits if you’re on a low income or out of work. You don’t need to do anything if you’re already claiming benefits.

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. Whether you can claim depends on where you live and your personal circumstances. It is due to be introduced in some parts of Walsall from September 2015.

The amount of Universal Credit you’ll get depends on your circumstances and your income.

It can include support for:

  • Housing (you must pay your rent directly to your landlord if you get Universal Credit to help you with housing)
  • Children and childcare
  • If you’re disabled or have a health condition
  • If you care for somebody with a disability

There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week if you get Universal Credit.

Your payment will reduce gradually as you earn more. You won’t lose all your benefits at once if you’re on a low income.

For more information speak to your local JobCentre or  contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723 or go to the Government’s website. 


Income Support

To possibly be able to get Income Support you must be:

  • Under pension age
  • Unable to work due to sickness or disability
  • A lone parent to a child under 5
  • Not work more than 16 hours

If you meet these criteria, then please visit the Government's website for more information.


Jobseeker's Allowance

If you are aged 18 or over but below pension age, are available for work and not in full time education, you maybe able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance. Please visit the Government's website to find out more and apply.


Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income (regardless of your employment status) and pay rent, then you maybe able to claim Housing Benefit towards the cost of your rent. To find out more visit Walsall Council's website.


Council Tax reductions

The conditions on getting a reduction on your Council Tax are similar to those for Housing Benefit. To find out more visit Walsall Council's website.


Walsall Crisis Support Scheme  (formerly known as Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants)

From April 2013 Walsall Council introduced the Crisis Support Scheme to replace Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants. To possibly make a claim for an award you or your family must be at a severe risk to your health and safety. The specifics of these vary from case to case, so please visit Walsall Council's website to see if you are eligible to make a claim.


Sure Start Maternity Grant

If you are expecting your first child (or pregnant with multiple births) and are claiming:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
  • Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Universal Credit

Then you maybe able to get a £500.00 grant towards the costs of having a child. To find out more, visit the Government's website.


Help for families and children with a special educational needs (SEN) or disability

In addition to the benefits and allowances mentioned on this page, there are additional ones that families with children who have an SEN or disability can claim. To find out more visit the Financial help for SEN/disabled children page.

For more details of benefits and allowances please vist the websites listed below: