Child sexual exploitation (CSE) is a form of sexual abuse, in which a young person is manipulated or forced into taking part in a sexual act. This could be as part of a seemingly consensual relationship, or in return for attention, affection, money, drugs, alcohol or somewhere to stay.
The young person may think that their abuser is their friend, or even their boyfriend or girlfriend. But they will put them into dangerous situations, forcing the young person to do things they don’t want to do. The abuser may physically or verbally threaten the young person, or be violent towards them. They will control and manipulate them, and try to isolate them from friends and family.
The risk of CSE is linked to children and young people who are missing or absent.
- CSE Screening Tool
- Child exploitation distribution toolkit
- Spot the Signs
- Barnardos Leaflet
- Know and See Leaflet
- Street Teams referral pathways
- Secret Sexting Codes
- Common Sexting Codes
- Gypsy, Roma & Traveller Children - CSE Resources
for more information on CSE see See me, hear me website
- http://wlscb.org.uk/ (Walsall Safeguarding Board) - CSE Toolkit
- http://street-teams.org/ (Street Teams Walsall)
- https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-abuse-and-neglect/child-sexual-exploitation/ (NSPCC)
- http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/our_work/sexual_exploitation.htm (Barnardos)
- https://www.childline.org.uk/ (Childline)
- https://new.thinkuknow.co.uk/professionals (Think You Know)
Outside the Box
Walsall Early Help Team in conjunction with Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust will be delivering a series of Outside the Box workshops for children aged 13+ who are of a low risk of CSE:
The session will cover - Full day interactive session for young people on healthy relationships sex and education (RSE) that is also ideal for young people low risk of child sexual exploitation. The programme focuses on activities to build self esteem and confidence and tailor make a personalised RSE plan.
Walsall Early Help's Pledge
Walsall Early Help Team are keen in supporting the prevention and awareness of CSE in Walsall. Following on from National CSE Awareness day 2018 we chose to pledge our support.